[lit-ideas] The Cult of Personalities

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:30:24 -0500

DR: It's because the times, they are a'changing, and we don't know what's
going to happen. How do I know that we don't know? I read the New
Yorker over lunch. January 9th issue--you probably got it five weeks
back. I read an article about global warming which begins with early
British butterfly collecting, moves to the University of York--oh, I
thought, Judy might be interested--and then scoots across to the
University of Oregon--oh, I thought, Robert might be...--and then has
a wonderful bit about a Quaker telling someone called Savage about
the green mountain's golden toad--oh, I thought, Eric will like this-- and then the piece wanders into
Scotland--oh, I thought, I would like

The best part about David's post is that it displays I think what many of us feel who come regularly to this little club. I really do think "oh, I bet 'insert listserv member's name here' will be interested in this. This is the number one reason I [try to] contribute to the conversation. We can sort of, in the best way we can, get to know each other, however remote we are, however much we choose to reveal to the group, we can make virtual friends and _consider_ them in our everyday lives. I guess that's as real as it can get for this medium/method.

A couple of weeks ago my Dad said that one of the most entertaining things about the Internet over the past decade for him is listening to me regale him with tales from Phil-Lit and subsequent related groups. He doesn't even subscribe and he knows all your names -- yes, I mean YOU!

Fortunately, or unfortunately, with a varying degree of selective anonymity comes a sort of freeing up from our 'public selves'. Perhaps someone can assume a persona which makes him/her more comfortable with sharing as much of their life so as not to completely reveal to us the 'real' person, but enough so that they are some semblance of a possible real person. It's nice to know sometimes that we aren't JUST characters. There are sometimes real people on the other end of real conversations. Some of us have even met each other. For that... I thank you all.

non-whinging, waving,
PkkkkqS

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx