[lit-ideas] Re: The Crisis Averted (follow up) or...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:37:57 -0700

..."a head of steam coursing toward the arrowless quiver's bottom."

My sister did buy a couch, which is to say that she picked out one from a sample in a London shop. It will be finished in Wales and delivered in eight, or so, weeks. Delivery charges are sixty five pounds. I remember that when we bought our couch here, that very one was delivered later in the afternoon, for free.

After a pleasant weekend, I have developed a stinker of a cold. My daughter's news from school is that her English teacher insisted today that "leitmotif" is pronounced "litmotive." She is, after all, teaching an I.B. Lit class. My daughter, who speaks German and French, knows enough now to shut up.

I read today an A.P. story that I think I may mention in class tomorrow. "The Oregonian" ran it under the head, "Markets Could Be Poised to Rebound." Metaphor-wise, it's a soup.

"Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's latest market-stabilizing attempt must clear a high hurdle to please investors. So far they have barely blinked at a litany of government-led fixes...

'We're running out of arrows in the quiver,' said Chuck Gabriel, managing director of Alpha Partners in Washington. 'There's just not much left after this, and at some point we're going to find bottom.'

Sen. Chuck Schumer, chairman of the Joint Economic Committee, said an administration proposal to inject federal money directly into certain banks...'is gaining steam.'

Steven Goldman, chief market strategist for Weeden and Co., said that the gauges he uses to determine a bottom simply can't be applied these days...the data simply doesn't work amid the chaos coursing through the markets."

In my reduced state, I can't locate the litmotive.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon