[lit-ideas] Re: The Cat At Whom He Has Hissed

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:15:21 -0230

An annotational transliteration might look like this: ow (as in pain)s g(as in
"great")e (short "e").  Thus: owsge...

It would take awhile to identify the essence of the expression, but we'd be
surely interrupted by John McC's critique of essentialism. So here are a few
examples, and you can try to find the inter-weaving thread(s) amongst them:

: "augenommen" - i.e., having taken all the stuffings from out of the turkey.

: "ausgelaufen" - i.e., having completely empied a bottle of Oban, down to the
very last drop.

: "ausgekluegelt" - i.e., having examined something completely, thoroughly - to
the point of being able to solve a problem or resolve a dilemma.

To be "ausgehugged" is to be completely "hugged out." There are no more hugs
left in you to give.

Like the term "ersatz," (as in ersatz - fake, substitute, coffee) this German
expression is becoming increasingly popular amongst young, leftist, unpwardly
mobile, falafel-loving, palm-sized steak eating, Harvard and U of T educated
graduate students and professionals living in Scottsdale, Arizona and San
Diego, California.

All ausge-emailed for today,

Walter O.

P.S. Julie: Terry seems like an interesting fellow. Is he your
painfully-slow-to-learn betterhalf? If he is, ensure that he not come to feel
ausgewifed.