[lit-ideas] Re: The Cat At Whom He Has Hissed

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:16:17 -0500

Ah, I am not alone.  It is good to know one is not alone.

I had a similar (perhaps the same?  Symptoms were dehydration, no
appetite, lethargy) cat problem a few months ago.  The (elderly male)
cat's urinary tract was "clogged".  I can't recall the explanation of
why, but it involved a few days stay at the vets during which the cat
was at first catheterized then subject to manual urinary expression by
the vet, special cat food, and a very watchful eye afterwards -- an
ungodly vet bill and a few months later said cat had to be buried.

I called the drain cleaner guy to snake out a pipe and it cost me $95
for him to spend 15 minutes telling me there wasn't anything he could
do.

I called my A/C guy who charged me $100 for an hour's service call
which, yes, lasted roughly 20 minutes -- the amount of time it took
him to tell me that my central air compressor was shot and a new one
would run $2,000 to $3,000.

Here, at least, a typical service call runs a flat rate just for
whomever to come out (they call it an hourly rate, but it doesn't
matter if the service person spends 5 minutes or an hour).  Anything
beyond an hour's time spent, then, costs according to whatever their
hourly rate is.  This goes for exterminators, plumbers, appliance
repair, auto repair, you name it.  Of course, as part of this service
call, you get a free estimate...

Mike -- What's your hourly service call rate?  It might be cheaper for
me to drag you from Mississippi than to call local servicemen.

I have spent the better part of the last 3 months dealing with
postponed piles of paper, etc.  "Etc." in this case means books,
chachkas, prints, photos, and you-name-its.  I'm constantly trying to
determine which new pile to put items in -- the new piles are eBay,
local selling through Craigslist, Freecycle, Salvation Army, Trash,
and stuff I'm keeping.  This is looking like a life-long unwilling
avocation (how's that for an oxymoron?)

Re.  "All ausge-hugged and -kissed (even by those students who hated
my course at the
time. What does it all mean???)"

What does "ausge-hugged" mean?  How is "ausge" pronounced?  Re. "What
does it all mean???", please see Pratchett,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett -- I love the photo of
Terry -- how cool!

Julie Krueger
meandering