[lit-ideas] Re: The Case for Bombing Iran

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:37:59 -0700

Your comment surprises me, Andreas.  It assumes that the US isn't already
collapsed in Iraq.  This is quite a switch for you - must have been the
surge.

I suspect you didn't read all the way to the bottom of my last note.  If the
Iranians are "freaking out" as Foster says and if they are speculating about
"when" not "if" the bombing is going to occur, surely the Iraqi Shiites are
speculating about the same thing.  Foster says the bombing will occur in the
next 60 to 90 days if Iran doesn't capitulate, and if he is right about the
ineffectiveness of the Russian defensive system, Iran has a lot less to feel
sanguine about when they consider a US air attack.

I think the Iraqi Shiites who would feel most upset about our bombing Iran
are the ones who have already sold out to Iran, the ones the Iraqi
government is trying to keep at bay, the ones Iran is using to fuel the
insurgency; so they are already fighting us.

No, I don't think the US enterprise in Iraq would collapse after a bombing
of Iran.  Don't forget, one of the most horrendous wars of the 20th century,
took place between Iraq and Iran.  The bulk of the fighting and dying for
Iraq was done by the Shiites.  Most of the officers for Iraq were Sunnis.
Most of the enlisted men were Shiites.  Shiites fought Shiites in that war
which ended right before the Ayatollah died in 1989.  The Iraqi government
isn't going to arms against us if we bomb Iran.  No one is.

Thanks to the Leftist Media we are once again seen as a bunch of wuses who
lost their nerve.  A lot of Islamofascists are back to thinking of us the
way Osama did after Black Hawk Down and the way Saddam kept thinking of us
right up until end.  The Leftist Press continues to encourage Islamofascist
adventures.  Well, why not.  Maybe they'll get someone like Carter after the
next election.  I'm sure they're hoping.  In the meantime we'd better bomb
Iran so that our enterprise in Iraq doesn't collapse.

Lawrence