[lit-ideas] The Boston Brahmin and the Sacred Cow

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:36:23 EST

The Boston Brahmin Does Philosophy

From this online site, I read:

          wapedia.mobi/en/Harvard_University

         "Nevertheless, Harvard  became the bastion of a distinctly
Protestant elite —
the so-called Boston  Brahmin class — and continued to be so well into the
          20th century. The  social milieu of 1880s Harvard is depicted in
          Owen Wister's  Philosophy 4, which contrasts the character and
demeanor
          of two  undergraduates who "had colonial names (Rogers, I think,
and Schuyler)"
          with that of their  tutor, one Oscar Maironi, whose "parents had
come over in
         the steerage." ("Bertie's  and Billy's parents owned town and
country houses
          in New York.

----- I believe, but then, what's the wapedia, the passage is slightly
incorrect, and
self-contradictory. Billy Rogers and Bertie Schulyer had

"parents [who] owned
town and country houses in New York"

and today ("1901")

_http://www.fullbooks.com/Philosophy-4-A-Story-of-Harvard-University.html_
(http://www.fullbooks.com/Philosophy-4-A-Story-of-Harvard-University.html)

    "To-day Bertie [Schulyer] ] is treasurer of the New  Amsterdam Trust
Company, in Wall Street; Billy  [Rogers] is superintendent of passenger
traffic of
the New  York and Chicago Air Line.

--- So the "Athenaeum" Club would not be _their_ thing; Boston Brahmin  waxes
provincial to the New Yorker, I tend to perceive (if 'waxes' is the word).

Woodfield, the professor, would possibly be Brahmin, only _educators_ did
not necessarily _count_.

In fact, I don't think the Boston brahmin needs _do_ philosophy, and  _doing_
it (as William James partly did it, because he was part-time psychology)
contradicts the feeling?

Cheers,

JL

products.