[lit-ideas] Re: The Black Day of the German Army

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:27:06 -0700

David Ritchie wonders where I saw Fussell, and I've been trying to remember.
It had to be something on CSPAN.  That's just about the only thing I watch
on TV.   Perhaps it was one of those programs where they deal with a
writer's whole corpus.  I vaguely remember his talking about uniforms or
being interested in the minutiae of something I didn't find especially
interesting.  Maybe I didn't watch the whole program.  This book was written
back in the 70s so perhaps the moderator referred to it as a classic -
something that enticed me into buying it, but I bought a very very used
copy, so I must have had doubts about its value.  I have but vague
impressions and am not sure what I am saying is correct.

I find Fussell entertaining, but his generalization from comments by Rudolf
Binding is off putting.  However, it will be a few days before I receive
Rick Atkinson's The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944;
so I'll plow ahead.

Lawrence Helm