[lit-ideas] Re: The Better 'Ole

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:21:39 +0000 (GMT)

From: "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx

>McEvoy comments:

"What then would be most interesting - indeed vital - to know is what these
Nazi readers were making of, and taking from, Kant. Unfortunately Chris'
very  interesting post does not answer this."

Following McEvoy's vein of asking, "isn't the implicature here...?"  with a
gloss of the explicature, instead, I would grant that since the post was
never ASKED to answer this, it is not surprise that it does. "The post does
not  answer..." implicates that it was asked, and it wasn't.>

It "implicates" no such thing. The Bible doesn't answer how
variation-cum-heredity could explain evolution in terms of adaptations favoured
by natural selection [or how such an explanation can be reconciled with a
Creator-God], but this does not "implicate" that "it was asked" or that it
raised such questions. All it means is that if such questions are raised, the
Bible does not provide an answer.

>But the topic of literary influences of wars is a fascinating one.

>Take for example some people's favourite war, "The Great War", as they call
it:>

Odd: despite the many conversations that turn on one's "favourite" this or
"favourite" that, I've yet to encounter one on one's "favourite war". (But
surely the Peloponesian, the Hundred Years, the Crimean, the Falklands and the
one "On Drugs" are all higher up the list of favourites than the Great War?)