[lit-ideas] The Beginning of the Digital Universe

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:15:55 -0800

Joe Firmage is back. Very bright, very off the wall. He made his first $24 million before he was even 24 years old, and another billion or so a few years later.

Then Silicon Valley crashed, and a mutual friend told me that Joe was down to his last two million or so.

Every once in a while, he sends out an email. A few years ago, he put full-page ads in 10-20 major newspapers. Email is easier, and who reads newspapers anyway?

Here is his latest email.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

Hello friend,

I've wanted to write this message for more than half a decade.

In recent years I've asked you on rare occasions to believe and
subscribe to endeavors which I've suggested are critical. This
is the most important request I've ever made of you. Please read
it carefully.

THE BEGINNING OF THE DIGITAL UNIVERSE

Imagine it's July of 2007. Imagine that in every month for the
previous year a new "Digital Universe portal" has been launched.
Imagine that each portal has been developed as the ultimate
ad-free destination on the Web, for a particular subject you
care about. The Earth Portal. The Energy Portal. The Solar
System Portal. The Nanotechnology Portal. The Soccer Portal. The
SCUBA portal. Imagine that each of these portals is a dazzling
destination of advertising-free information services, providing
educational links, news headlines, online courses, IPTV and
IP-radio broadcasts, moderated chat rooms and forums, and the
best books available. Imagine that these portals have been built
by both public contributions and expert review.

Imagine the Health Portal launches, and like the release of a
major cinematic feature film, is much anticipated. It features a
manipulable, explorable 3D human body. You will be able to fly
into the heart to see what a heart attack looks like. You will
be able to explore the human eye and examine the LASIK procedure
and its effects. Teachers will be able to take their students on
a "Fantastic Voyage" through the human bloodstream, and see how
cells work. Visitors will be able to watch IPTV programs on all
subjects surrounding health and medicine, on demand, just when
they are needed.

*****GET INVOLVED NOW*****

Now step back to the present, today. It's January 17, 2006. The
pilot release of the Digital Universe
(http://DigitalUniverse.net) has launched. It reveals a
blueprint -- and only a blueprint -- of what this remarkable
information resource will ultimately provide to you, your
children and your grandchildren.

This pilot release of the Digital Universe provides not just a
preview of a magnificent long-term project, but it offers you
the opportunity to get involved, by subscribing to the Internet
services bundled with it now, today, thereby supporting the
growth and evolution of the Digital Universe, and it opens the
door for you to contribute your time and energy to its
realization.

In short, we are starting a movement to "take back the Web."

A BRIEFING ON THE DIGITAL UNIVERSE

After several years of concentrated work by many experts in
technology, science and media, we are now ready to introduce a
pilot version of the Digital Universe and its accompanying
Internet Information Services.

The Digital Universe is an effort to create an authoritative,
advertising-free network of portals to the larger World Wide
Web. Download the software at http://DigitalUniverse.net.

Why is this important?

After spending 17 years in the IT industry, I have come to
believe that the Web will either liberate you from the chains of
the political-economic machinery of modernity, or it will
enslave you. The outcome of this epochal debate will be
determined by YOU. Either a critical number -- a critical mass
-- of people will devote their Internet dollars to a truly
public information system, or they won't.

That is the question that I am posing to you, at this moment...
right here, right now.

ADVERTISING IS NOT INFORMATION, INFORMATION IS NOT ADVERTISING

The Digital Universe is an endeavor founded upon the notion that
people everywhere want, need and will purchase their most basic
information services from a global enterprise committed to
delivering the most important information in the most neutral,
private, secure and non-commercial way, and in a manner that
will support the organizations they care about.

With your help, we will present news in the most humble and
honest manner known to journalism; we will present a directory
of the Web's best resources with the most unbiased methodologies
known to netizens, including your own commentary; we will map
the emerging universe of IPTV and IP-radio with the highest
integrity that can be mustered from the combined efforts
voyagers on the Web.

In short, we hope to engage you to help create a new kind of
searchable, navigable directory of the best that the Internet
can offer, free from the corrupting influences of advertising,