[lit-ideas] The Beer Miracle

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 03:21:19 -0800 (PST)

I want one of these...

Teemu

Norwegians plumb in beer-dispensing kitchen sink
Turn water into ale
By Lester Haines
Published Tuesday 14th March 2006 17:07 GMT

It's every right-minded Englishman's dream: you've
been dispatched to the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon -
protesting pathetically against your other half's
(absolutely correct and justified) assertion that
you're "not going down the bloody pub until you've
done the washing-up" - but when you half-heartedly
stick a mug under the tap to purge the encrusted mould
from the bottom it's not water that issues forth, but
beer.

Now, it's at this point that you'll be thinking: "The
poor boy has spent so long shackled to his PC [five
hours so far today, for pity's sake] that he's gone
completely doolally tap due no doubt to prolonged lack
of foaming ale."

No so, because the above delightful scenario is
precisely what happened to Haldis Gundersen in her
apartment in Kristiansund, west Norway, viz: she
arrived at the sink to find the taps dispensing beer.

Gundersen told Reuters: "I turned on the tap to clean
some knives and forks, and beer came out. We thought
we were in heaven." Indeed, although disappointingly,
Gundersen noted the beer was "flat and tasted odd".

The cause of the Kristiansund Beer Miracle was soon
pinpointed when, downstairs at the Big Tower Bar, the
pumps started to offer nothing more than water. An
investigation showed that Gundersen's water supply and
the bar's vital beer conduit had been accidently
cross-connected.

Per Egil Myrvang from the local beer distributor
explained: "The water and beer pipes do touch each
other, but you have to be really creative to connect
them together."

The "problem" was quickly rectified, with Gundersen
quipping: "If it happens again, I'm going to order
Baileys." ®

Bootnote

There's a pub very close to Vulture Central. If any
reader knows the "creative" plumber responsible for
this "accident" ask him to give us a shout.

Oh yes - thanks very much to all those thirsty readers
who wrote in to ask, nay demand, that we give this
story the attention it so richly deserves.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/14/beer-on-tap/

http://mail.yahoo.com