[lit-ideas] Re: The Arts and the Peloponnesian War

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 04:38:14 -0500

>>“Quartet for the End of Time.”

        FYI, a great performance by Tashi on RCA.

>>[Reviewer] Philippe Herreweghe and assorted Franco-Belgian forces had presented Beethoven’s “Missa Solemnis,” and the same conductor had led Bach’s “St. Matthew Passion” two nights before.

Herreweghe's conducting ... is an acquired taste. Listen to his rackety, clamant, lazy-Toscanini romp through the Third Brandenburg Concerto. It has the feeling of going way too fast on a bad bike. Herreweghe's discography puts the sonorous prose on the Messiaen into a different perspective. The review more or less means that Herreweghe's vanities could not rout the Met Chamber Ensemble. They delivered submemorable performances of the whole LvB and JSB kit and caboodle, but shone in a modern work of less certain form where, in vivo, the conductor is reduced to glorified metronome.

>>[Reviewer] Messiaen’s quiet answer to the ultimate questions of fear and faith stayed with me the longest, not because he was a greater composer than Bach or Beethoven but because his reply came out of an all-too-modern landscape of legislated inhumanity. ....

As that bear said to the man with the gun, "This isn't about hunting, is it?"