[lit-ideas] Re: The American Poor

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 00:20:09 +0100

> Judy spaketh:
> > one possible answer is that London (etc.) are very much more
> > expensive than elsewhere in Europe.  So the comparison's a
bit
> > silly.
>
> ck: I don't know about "silly,"

Oh I think it is.  Comparing the US and the UK is not silly;
Lawrence's

LH>The average poor American has more living space than the
average
LH> individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other
cities
LH>throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average
citizens
LH>in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

certainly is.  Housing costs in Paris, London, and Vienna are
very
high, certainly higher than average housing costs across the
whole
of the US.   And it *is* the whole of the US that's compared, in
his post, with certain expensive European cities. (That's
silly.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff