[lit-ideas] Re: The American Civil War, why and how it was fought

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:02:26 -0700

Donal,

Your comments are more practical than my “If either side had leaders who didn’t
exceed their capabilities and would submit to their more competent compatriots
it would have won in in a very short period of time.”  The people who fit that
qualification seem to have been so doubt-filled that they never reached the
top.  Burnside for example was extremely competent but he didn’t believe he was
qualified to lead an army.  He refused the assignment but Lincoln insisted.
Then through no fault of his own he had some bad luck, bad luck seemed to haunt
him, as when an unseasonable rain bogged down his whole army as it tried to
cross a river.  He pleaded to Lincoln to relieve him but Lincoln was so
attracted to this general who would list his own shortcomings and take
responsibility for failures that he wouldn’t accept his request.  Burnside kept
on requesting removal and when it became obvious that the army had lost
confidence in him (because of his bad luck) Lincoln reassigned him.

Then there were others who started out shy and unassuming.  John Bell Hood was
one.  He loved to serve under leaders who valued his fighting ability.  He was
good looking, highly favored by Jefferson Davis, fearless and applauded
wherever he went.  He was a “rock star” and thought it only fitting that he be
allowed to lead an army.  As a corps commander he violated military protocol
and sent telegraphs to Jefferson Davis running down his superior Longstreet
until he finally got his Army and his chance and he blew it.  His mistakes
destroyed his army at the battles of Franklin and Nashville.   Most historians,
I gather, tend to abuse Hood today but if everyone keeps telling you that you
are a rock star won’t you eventually believe it?  Who has the character to
resist that sort of praise?

Grant truly was a rock star as a general.  Lincoln was delighted to have him in
charge of the army.  He wasn’t promoted beyond his ability – until he was
offered the nomination for the presidency; so even Grant succumbed to the
praise.

Sherman was another rock star and was closer to what we are looking for.  He
was one of the most “modern” of the generals who fought in the civil war (the
other was Bedford Forrest).   His battles are still studied today and he too
was offered the presidency but being wiser than Grant said that he would not
accept the nomination and that if he received it and won the presidency he
would not serve as president.  He wasn’t kidding.

Nathan Bedford Forrest was another rock star.  He was truly brilliant.  Douglas
Haig, for example, studied Forrest’s tactics.  But there was never a chance
that Forrest would be promoted beyond his abilities because he was not a
graduate of West Point.  He wasn’t a graduate of anything.  He proved himself
time and time again.  He kept making the right decisions and doing the right
thing but generals above him preferred what they had been taught at West Point
to what he was telling them.

Another question that might be asked is what sort of Civil War we might have
had if there were no West Point.

Lawrence