[lit-ideas] Re: The American Civil War, why and how it was fought

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 14:53:45 -0500

Donal McEvoy wrote:
. . . .Of particular interest is the theme of failures of leadership, and what seems to support an old Billy Connolly argument that the first way to reform politics is to find out who wants to be politician and then ban them for life from politics (of course, we know they would dissemble to get round any such ban; and some good candidates would be banned): in the Civil War you almost seem to suggest a like ban in terms of military leadership might have ensured victory for the side that adopted it:-
Of course we could go even further back and ask what would have happened if we never had the Revolutionary War either. (Canada seems to have done OK even though they didn't have to have a war with England.) So if we had a queen now, at least we would have someone who was "destined" to lead rather than someone who wanted a good job. England at least has some people in government who didn't want to be there. Although I haven't studied the topic as much as Laurence has, I'd begin such study with the hypothesis that one of the reasons we "won" the revolutionary war is that England was a fairly benign colonial power, as colonial powers go, and that they weren't particularly interested in keeping a colony when it was so bent on being independent.

Heaven protect us from BOTH politicians who want to be politicians, AND from those who are so committed to a course of action that they aren't willing to allow for being wrong or allow for things not turning out as they want them to.

But among the distinct issues these failings of leadership raise:- one is how such leaders, especially the narcissistic type, may be most blind to their own failings (which therefore go uncorrected), and this is a failing that cannot easily be laid at the door of the public, even one assumed to respond better to 'success-talk' than 'failure-talk'. One might think education would produce properly self-critical individuals - but we must all have striking experience of highly educated people who see facing their failings as an affront to their highly educated status: that is, that a pernicious kind of intellectual dishonesty and dogmatism can go hand-in-hand a high level of intellect and education. A root problem is surely than the desire for a leadership role is often linked with a desire for status, and a desire for status is often antithetical to a properly self-critical approach to life and its problems.

"Educatied" used to mean something quite specific. Now it's used to describe anybody who learned something complicated. But a genuine "education" WOULD hopefully produce leaders who are more self-aware and willing to take risks when reasonable and refrain from risks when reasonable.

To me, the basic problem is that both leaders and voters are increasingly mis-educated or uneducated, and are unaware of their lack of self-awareness. So voters vote for people who claim super-human leadership roles and only those who want to be such leaders would even consider running for office, leaving the more reasonable potential candidates sitting watching the whole process because they don't see much chance of running against such overly-ambitious candidates.