[lit-ideas] Re: "The African Language" (Was: Julie's Query)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:08:50 -0500

JK:
> Do you know any of the African languages/dialects?

I assume Julie is addressing me and not Mike Chase, since it was I who wrote
those famous Southeast Swahili words "Mbala, oolongo, simba" which means:
"Go, lion, into the high grass of the Serengetti, and catch me a plump,
tender gazelle, for I am hungry and would taste thereof."  Africans are very
poetic.  I especially like listening to the pygmies talk.  They're small
enough I can beat them up if they say something I don't like.  I usually
don't bother learning their languages.  Where's the profit?  With the
dialects there must be ten thousand tongues there.  Stick to English, Julie.
You've got the money, make them come to you.  Just say stuff with a lot of
vowels and some voweless consonants thrown in and gesticulate angrily.
They'll understand.

Hope this is of some help to you,
Mike Geary.

> Julie Krueger
> ========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: "The African
> Language" (Was: Julie's  Query)  Date: 7/30/2004 12:43:39 PM Central
Daylight Time
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx