[lit-ideas] Re: The 11th Hour

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:50:07 -0500

I’ve heard the parallel postulate’s no good
on Henry Street, that from a certain sidewalk
square the lines go out in all directions
and yet stay parallel, stealing the dancers’ shadows
from the polished boards upstairs. I walk down
Cornelia Street, looking for Hassan’s Café Aladdin.
‘Where were you when he needed you?’
Not there, not there. I never am.

For some reason I suspect this is either from or an allusion to something from Joyce. Yes or no?

God, I hate smart people.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
I’ve heard the parallel postulate’s no good
on Henry Street, that from a certain sidewalk
square the lines go out in all directions
and yet stay parallel, stealing the dancers’ shadows
from the polished boards upstairs. I walk down
Cornelia Street, looking for Hassan’s Café Aladdin.
‘Where were you when he needed you?’
Not there, not there. I never am.

Geometry’s a mug’s game. I give him a dollar. Big man
from out of town. Living a distant life.

Robert Paul,
waiting for something