[lit-ideas] Re: The 11th Hour

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 16:29:54 +0100

crying at a reading by robert bly

i went to see robert bly read his poetry
but i saw too many ghosts
i saw people who are still alive but dead to me
seated in the audience was an old english teacher
he was as dashing as when he taught composition
his name was john then but maybe not now, i didn't ask
then it was my friend robert.
he used to wear a leather bag over his shoulder
he didn't anymore but the beard was the same
i heard someone whisper i looked like thomas tranströmer
or someone who's face i've forgotten

olav h. hauge was there. so was rolf jacobsen. and more
old masters hidden in the water under the ice covering
the frozen
minnesota lake i remember canooing there in the summer
the sickle smiles at all

how fickle is the boundary between the dead and
living how solidly the dead have planted their being in us
to a certain group of believers men are non-existent
to god
robert bly said
we are dust on the underside of grass