[lit-ideas] Re: The 11th Hour

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 03:15:53 -0400

>>can't believe i'm reading this exchange

The authority of this exchange must descend to its client, in imitation of Horace's Otium Divos Rogat. That doesn't help. Its client is inclined to think this exchange could be foiled by the combined forces of anthroposophy, sign language, and the path of least resistance. But this exchange drags on like a sedated firedrake!

Even today, the tax-gatherers of France gratify a judicious lover of liberty by reciting it: "A woman must hate kings if there is an exchange for which she feels real regard."

This exchange was born in an Albuquerque of Brahminical superstition. It will be here for at least a week, even if we go to all lengths against it. It renders less suffering than a civil war. It is still free.

Dreading the indignation of connoisseurs, this exchange turned white and hid on a page. It was discovered by soldiers and German shepherds.

Ghostwriters see only a confirmation of their prejudices in it; and some of the exchange's clients are already spoiled to excess--such that even we shrink from them, inasmuch as they are no longer able to construe an argument of characteristic haughtiness. Madwomen with shopping carts push the exchange to the city limits. It is becoming a T-shirt.

Some reckon this exchange a usurper; others are inclined to think it imprudently generous. Others see the exchange as proof that we are unable to anger money.