[lit-ideas] That ol' mule

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:31:28 -0800

An old Louisiana farmer had a wife who nagged him unmercifully.

From morning till night (and sometimes later), she was
always complaining about something. The only time he
got any relief was when he was out plowing with his
old mule. He tried to plow a lot.
One day, when he was out plowing, his wife brought him
lunch in the field .He drove the old mule into the
shade, sat down on a stump, and began to eat his
lunch. Immediately, his wife began haranguing him
again. Complain, nag, nag; it just went on and on.
All of a sudden, the old mule lashed out with both
hind feet; caught her smack in the back of the head.

Killed her dead on the spot.
At the funeral several days later, the minister
noticed something rather odd. When a woman mourner
approached the old farmer, he listened for a
minute, then nodded his head in agreement; but when a man
mourner approached him, he listened for a minute,
then shook his head in disagreement.
So after the funeral, the minister spoke to the old
farmer, and asked him why he nodded his head and
agreed with the women, but always shook his head and
disagreed with all the men.
The old farmer said: "Well, the women would come up
and say something about how nice my wife looked, or
how pretty her dress was, so I'd nod my head in
agreement." "Yes, but what about the men?" the minister asked. "Well... they all wanted to know if the mule was for sale."