[lit-ideas] Re: That Al Queada had or has nukes

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:16:24 -0500

Lawrence: The suitcase nuke threat has never
been conclusively proved false, but more and more times goes by without the explosions; so more and more comfort is taken in Powell's argument. You do take comfort in this, don't you Eric?

Eric: As someone living close to the center of the most likely target city for any terrorist strike, the only thing I take comfort in is that the more time goes by, the better the chances that the weapons material may degrade and become useless.

As a follow up to Friedman, I had read that attempts to "game" scenarios where a known al-Qaeda nuke was being smuggled into NYC or the Jersey docks--we lost! In almost all games, the US was unable to prevent the importation and detonation of the nuke package. Further, these game scenarios helped influence Bush's policy of taking the war overseas, since securing the US would take / is taking years and the nuke threat was considered imminent.