[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:26:33 -0500

Mike: Christian fundamentalists are much more my
enemy because they are trying to force their
strictures on me.

 Eric: How are they doing that, Mike?

Mike: Are you kidding?  Terry Schiavo.  Abortion
rights.  Evolution.  Doctor assisted suicide.
Prayer in schools.  Christian religious icons on
public property?  Anti-pornography, anti-gay
marriage, even just anti-gay, pro-death penalty --
have you been sleeping the last ten years or so?
"They" own the Supreme Court now.  Expect more Big
Brother, bro.

Eric: I have friends who believe as you do, but I
suspect they watch too much TV.
Schiavo-Abortion-Gays-School Prayer: I have come
to believe that the only effective propaganda the
religious right has anymore is to make people feel
they are being oppressed by the religious right.
Their only power is to make you feel oppressed.

Maybe it's because I've been in New York so long,
but the only religious pressure I feel is in the
fake controversies on the news. The point of these
fake controversies is not the issues they claim to
dispute, but rather to PUT IN YOUR MIND the notion
that these are real issues.

The more TV you watch, the more it seems that
Zombie Hordes of Fundamentalists are coming, that
they have a pod for you too, and are going to
force you to believe what they believe. But the
non-TV reality is different. Just people doing
what they want to do, what they think they can get
away with doing.

TV, however, creates the impression that Santa is
coming to town big time. Soon they will be
gathered in your back yard, using your lawn for
prayer meetings, stenciling "John 3:16" on your
sidewalk, encircling your home with the Holy
Spirit, and blasting hymns at you from large
ATF/FBI trucks until you surrender, come out, and
are saved.

Whereas really, their only power is to make you
care about their intentions, to make you imagine
Zombie Hordes of Fundamentalists. Sort of like the
al-Qaeda varmints, only without the explosive,
biological, and radiological weaponry.