[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:35:18 -0800

Irene, you can't really get enough detail off the internet on such a subject
as this one.  An excellent treatment of the subject and the one I had in
mind during my comments was A Peace to End all Peace, the Fall of the
Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East, by David Fromkin,
635 pages.  This is an excellent treatment of the subject and rivals
Margaret Macmillan's Paris, 1919.  I think you will find that Wilson did his
own negotiation which was a mistake from one standpoint because the clever
Lloyd George and Georges Clemenceau were able to pull the wool over his eyes
in some areas.  But he insisted upon an end to colonialism and only agreed
to British and French oversight for limited periods as an alternative to
political and social chaos.  Wilson was hailed by virtually everyone at the
time as a world savior.  He was unselfish, taking no colonial booty and
suffering the continued presence in the Middle East of the British and
French insofar as it was promised to be temporary.  He didn't accomplish
everything he wanted, but he seriously curtailed the ambitions of the French
and the British.  He trusted too much in his own understanding and should
have had expert help.  Unfortunately it wasn't available to America in those
days.

As to modern Arabs twisting this and claiming Wilsonian malevolence, I refer
you to The Hidden Hand, Middle East fears of Conspiracy by Daniel Pipes.

Lawrence

  _____