[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:28:55 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 12:34 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

Mike: I am not opposed to Islamism. And I won't be until I perceive them as trying to make me follow their dictates. So far none have.

Eric: That's a perfect illustration of suburban nihilism. Or maybe it's just isolationism. Or maybe it's Mint Juleps with too little Triple Sec.

I prefer my Triple Sec straight, on the rocks, actually I'd never drink Triple Sec, Grand Marnier only. On the rocks, sitting on a South Carolina beach -- better than a 14 virgin heaven. Your other points are meaningless. I'm under no pressure to believe what Muslims believe, no threat by the police to adhere to any Muslim beliefs. My understanding of your "suburban nihilism" is that as long as it doesn't cost anything, 'they' don't care. They don't care how many Iraqis are killed or American troops or how much American treasure is squandered as long as it doesn't cost them anything. I care about all of those things, so I'd have to dismiss your argument as ignorance of who I am.

Mike: Christian fundamentalists are much more my
enemy because they are trying to force their strictures on me.

Eric: How are they doing that, Mike?

Are you kidding? Terry Schiavo. Abortion rights. Evolution. Doctor assisted suicide. Prayer in schools. Christian religious icons on public property? Anti-pornography, anti-gay marriage, even just anti-gay, pro-death penalty -- have you been sleeping the last ten years or so? "They" own the Supreme Court now. Expect more Big Brother, bro.

Strictures..ouch! Sounds painful and possibly Roman Catholic.

Yes, actually, all religions taken seriously are stricturial.

Mike: The Christians are in my back yard.

Eric: I wish I had a back yard sometimes, then I read about the Christians in your back yard, and think having a back yard is not worth the trouble.

I wish all the time I lived in New York City -- as we say down here, over the back fence, which you don't know about.

Mike: The Islamists are 9000 miles away.

Eric: So that's where they are. Bet they're in somebody else's yard...and with strictures.

Many, many strictures. Yes. Let's keep them is somebody else's backyard.

Mike: I understand why the Islamists are anti-Western -- they see us as threatening their whole way of life.

Eric: Yeah, secular humanism is a real bummer for theocrats.

Yes, it is. The problem is that a humanist understands that if people choose to live under a theocracy, that's their right. Theocrats seldom reciprocate that right. Humanist know that. As an aside let me say that I was joyed to see that the Catholic Church today declared that Intelligent Design wasn't science and shouldn't be taught in a science class -- I'm sure that announcement has no significance to anyone not once a Catholic.

Mike: There is no way we can go to war against the "Islamists" because they're not an entity such as a nation.

Eric: Oh don't be so negative, Mike. Catch any "this is a new kind of war" talk about four years ago?

Yes, just go kill 30,000 innocent people which will probably be 3,000,000 before we decide we can't win. But what the hell, they're just sand niggers.

Mike Geary
Memphis