[lit-ideas] Re: Testing

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:34:01 -0800 (PST)

The listserv rejects messages exceeding certain (generous) length limit (in
characters). An email is then sent to Andreas and me for approval or rejection.
I can't find any messages by Stan for approval in my inbox. So Stan, maybe it
was rejected by your service provider, standard limit to both in and out going
is 5MB or so.

As to why characters matter for attachments? SMTP which is what carries mail
over the internet was desisgned to transfer text. Attachments like pictures or
video clips are a hack in which binary file is encoded in ASCII characters.
00010111 becomes u or something like that. Also, plain text doesn't support any
formating (bold, italics...) so what you get when you open one a mail with one
of those it is actually an HTML file (as in a web page) included as an
attachment which your mail client opens without you doing anything (in most
cases)... HTML, particullary bad HTML, can be very verbose and thus can also
exceed the character limits.

Cheers,
Teemu
co-janitor