[lit-ideas] Re: Terrorism's "limited results"

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:43:28 -0700

On Sep 2, 2010, at 1:47 PM, Eric wrote:

On 9/2/2010 1:45 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

Thinking of blunt weapons:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/special-forces-obituaries/7952729/Piper-Bill-Millin.html

Also moved at the astounding courage of that man. I'd probably be cringing and crying and soiling myself in such a situation. The world requires so many different forms of courage.

I tried to play at a friend's funeral. Couldn't summon up the necessary puff and fingering. Of course I didn't have the muscle memory that comes with hours and hours and hours of practice, and I was never any kind of commando, but still...I have some idea what kind of miracle it is that he got sound out.

I wonder if the drones were in tune? All that wetness can't have done the reeds much good.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon