[lit-ideas] Re: Terrorism Flashback

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:28:33 -0700

None of this makes sense. Ali goes to al-Zawahiri. He came up with a plan to use trained hamsters to carry little backpacks filled with cyanide. al-Zawahiri tells him that's a stupid idea and vetos it.

Okay, so how does someone take credit for presenting a cancelled plan as a real
threat?

And we should cancel the Constitution and accept that the government carries out purposeless wars and starts torturing people? Over what? A cancelled idea?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx>
Date: 6/18/06 10:30:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So while some of you guys were telling me that I  was paying
too much attention to terror alerts, was hysterical, and/or
suffering from PTSD, al-Qaeda was indeed planning to attack
my hometown.  Ah, the comfortable nihilism of the  suburbs!

Al-Qaeda 'planned US cyanide hit'

Al-Qaeda militants were within 45 days of launching a lethal cyanide attack on New York's subway system in early 2003, US intelligence sources suggest.

But the attack, masterminded by  Saudi militants, was called
off by Osama Bin Laden's deputy, Ayman  al-Zawahiri.

The revelations are contained in a new book excerpted by
Time magazine.

Unnamed US officials confirmed their knowledge of the  plot
to the New York Times. The city's underground was placed on
high  alert in February 2003.

<snip>

Top US officials calculated  that the casualties would be
almost on a par with the 11 September 2001  attacks.