[lit-ideas] Re: Ten most harmful books...

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:51:16 +0100

Wednesday, June 1, 2005, 5:11:45 AM, Stan Spiegel wrote:

SS> I wonder what would make Rachel Carson toxic -- and Ralph Nader unsafe --
SS> enough to justify including them on this peculiar list. Why, even John
SS> Stuart Mill, Friedan, DeBeauvoir and B.F. Skinner made the list, not to
SS> mention whatshisname who wrote the Origin of the Species. Including him as a
SS> runner-up really helps characterize the crazy people who put together this
SS> list.

Oh I understand why they are there -- as you say, these people are
crazy, I think wingnut is the term -- I can even see why Dewey's
there, given their views. What I can't see is why _The Authoritarian
Personality_'s there.

SS> I'm reduced to a state of wonder.

Go to http://www.tpmcafe.com/ -- John Edwards is blogging there this
week -- for a dose of liberalism! But first sign John Conyers' letter
(sorry, this is not the best link for it)

http://www.johnconyers.com/index.asp?Type=NONE&SEC={456ECCD5-4EAC-4C6D-8A17-89728B250AE2}

Judy

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx