[lit-ideas] Teflon

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:07:51 -0700 (PDT)

---------------------------------
Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

That irresistible "new car" smell has Teflon in it.  Did you know that 95% of
the population of the U.S. has Teflon in their blood stream? I forget the
details, but I think once it's there, it's there for good.  Teflon is
everywhere, including dashboards, the containers that french fries come in,
just about anything and everything.  They're finding it's not as safe as they
thought, but the real hazard is to people who work in the plants that make this
stuff more so than the end users.  Still, the jury will be out for a while on
how end users will fare over the years from it.  What difference does it make
anyway, right?  It makes life more pleasant, and we're going to die anyway.  It
poisons the earth though.

  The up and coming blockbuster is nano technology.  Nano technology is taking
a substance and working with it on a molecular level, which changes its
properties completely.  Supposedly it's now already in (among a lot of things)
sunscreen.  Titanium dioxide is the white mineral that they use in sunscreen
that reflects back UV rays.  But it's white and pasty looking.  Using nano
technology they reduce the titanium dioxide to its molecular size and it's no
longer white and pasty; it disappears.  Wonderful, right?  But, at the size of
an atom or collection of atoms harmless old titanium dioxide is now also
capable of not only penetrating the skin and getting into the blood stream, but
the particles are so small that they can wind up ... who knows where?  The
blood brain barrier ordinarily keeps stuff out, but it can't stop something the
size of a nano.  It will be interesting to see all the things that will be
developed with nano tech.  Nano tech stain repellent clothes are
 old news now.  That's not the same (in my opinion) as putting it right on the
skin and watching it absorb.  I imagine nano tech Teflon is just around the
corner...

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.