[lit-ideas] Tea Masala

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 04:19:40 -0800 (PST)

I was going through my cabinets and found a long-forgotten jar of the spice
mixture called tea masala.  I had bought it with the best of intentions but
never quite knew what to do with it.  It seemed to make tea unacceptably spicy
and was promptly forgotten.  Until Saturday that is, when I threw caution to
the winds and decided to combine one tea bag with about a quarter of a teaspoon
of the masala, two packets of Splenda and almond milk, and it was wonderful.
It was so good that I headed to Wikipedia to find out what is this thing called
tea masala.  It turns out that it is tea steeped or boiled (there are many ways
to make it) with milk, sugar and varying masala spices (in this case ginger,
black pepper, pepper root, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves).  The
interesting part is that Indians didn't drink tea until the British essentially
forced it on them as a market through the East India Company.  Indians had used
tea as a
 medicinal herb.  So Indians have been drinking tea about as long as the
British have.  Tea had been a traditional Chinese beverage.

Changing the subject, did anybody see last night's Super Bowl?   The Jets
played a good game.  Or so I'm told.  I have friends who rooted for the other
team.  I think they lost.  I hate to see teams lose.

And speaking of bicycles, check this out:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2010/07/01/lost-cyclist

Andy