[lit-ideas] Re: Tasting: the preparatory text

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:47:00 -0230

Quoting karltrogge@xxxxxxxx:

> On 13-Jul-09, at 9:15 PM, Walter C. Okshevsky wrote:
>
> > On a tangential note (ouch), I am intrigued by the question of how
> > Oregonians go about "preparing" for the Tasting. Does it involve
> > particular techniques and exercises preparing the tongue, nose and
> > palate for maximal identification of whiskey qualia? Deep breathing
> > exercises? Would reading aloud a passage from a philosopher maximize
> > the senses and sensibilities? And if so, which philosophers'
> > writings would be most efficacious in facilitating the requisite
> > experiences?
>
> One must obviously start with a group reading of Paul Guyer's KANT AND
> THE CLAIMS OF TASTE (Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University
> Press, 1997).
>
> I quote from the Introduction:
>
> On Kant's view, the justification of a judgment of taste?for which he
> takes as a paradigm the judgment that a particular beverage, such as a
> good single malt whiskey or a fine wine, is sublime?requires a
> deduction of a synthetic a priori judgment because in calling a
> beverage sublime, we each express our own pleasure in it, yet go
> beyond the evidence furnished by that feeling to impute it to the rest
> of mankind as the potential imbiber of that beverage. We presume that
> our feelings, just like our scientific theories and moral beliefs, can
> be the subject of publicly valid discourse, and that, although "there
> can be no rule by which anyone should be compelled to acknowledge that
> a particular single malt is sublime," we are nevertheless entitled to
> respond to a with a "universal voice ... and lay claim to the
> agreement of everyone".
>
> Karl Trogge
> Hamburg
>
> P.S.: For perusal of 'unadulterated' portions of Paul Guyer's book,
> look it up on Google Books.
>
> KT

I have long maintained that The Third Critique was written in under a couple of
hours, and under the influence of more than a few bottles of scotch (the 1500
ml. size). Manny loved to drink, as we all know, and he was the center of
attraction at the weekly soirees hosted by the town's and gowns' elite. Nobody
could tell a joke like The Master could: A transcendental ego wallks into a bar
.... I forget the punchline here. Does anyone remember?

Herr Doktor Professor Trogge knows his Third Critique quite well, I see. (My
commiserations.) But clearly he is reading from a different edition than I am,
for my edition has expurgated all references to the sublimity of scotch.
Prussian censors, no doubt. Svolotchi!

I could make little sense of that Critique. Not even dear Hannah's courageous
attempts at rendering Kant's thoughts intelligible and of value to a politics
of deliberation were successful. The "universal voice" that spoke so clearly,
eloquently and convincingly in the Groundwork and Second Critique, has now been
mercilessly pickled.

Walter O
Gurken Chair of Libational Studies
University of Oxford