[lit-ideas] Re: Tasting: the preparatory text

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:50:00 -0230

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:
snip

> Eric: In general, writers and poets have *more* courage than
> philosophers. Writers and poets go to darker places, within
> themselves and their characters, than philosophers usually
> dare to enter. Hence the philosopher's penchant for
> "clarity," analysis, and argumentation, all of which are,
> finally, a way of defending the timid self by recourse to
> generalizations and abstractions.

The above claims and inferences require at least a 2 hour seminar on the nature
of philosophical analysis and argumentation. (With lots of coffee .... suitably
spiked, I would suggest.)

As the great philosopher Harry Stotelmeir was wont to say: a reckless person
looks at the courageous woman and sees a coward. A coward looks at the
courageous woman and sees a reckless person. What can I say? Life's a beach.

Cheers, Walter