[lit-ideas] Re: Taste of the pseudo-serious Poetaster

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:09:20 -0500

Hi, Stan,

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't comment.  In fact, I've found your
comments interesting.  As to your daughter, I've probably got something like
50 years on her, skin can certainly thicken in that about of time, but I do
remember the need for encouragement over honesty and I sympathize with her.
But you can hold your nose at any line of mine any time and I'll not whine.
If I were an aspiring poet, rather than a joker, I'd probably jump at the
opportunity to talk about my writings.  But I'm just having fun, Stan.  It's
fun to sit down and write these ditties, I just hope I'm not being tiresome.
Tiresome people can be so tiresome.  I'm immensely flattered that you like
elements of what I write, but I can't talk about most of it, because I often
I don't know what any of it means -- not art-wise anyway.  I just like the
way it sounds.   There are serious poets to whom I owe my life, people whose
sensitivites have carried me through dark hours, but I can never be one of
them.  My mind doesn't work that way.  Maybe some day I can be a Kenneth
Koch, though.  That would fun. "Life is much too important a thing ever to
talk seriously about it" -- Wilde.

Again I thank you.  Don't pay any attention to R Paul or A Amago.  : )

Mike Geary
subtle as a junk yard dog
Memphis