[lit-ideas] Tarzana

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:54:53 EST

Re: Tarzania, or the Dead White Man's Guide to the Greater Apes

Thanks to L. K. Helm for the reference:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs) > , best  known as the
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan) >   stories,
>purchased Otis' land, upon which he built a large home, and  renamed the
>property "Tarzana Ranch.: Burroughs subdivided and sold the  land for
>residential development, while the neighboring small farms were  also
>converted to residential areas. In 1927, local residents renamed the  town
>Tarzana in honor of Burroughs and his famous literary  character.

---

Interesting. The book I was referring to was:

      P. J. Farmer, "Tarzan: a definite biography  of Lord Greystoke"

Some of the *good* passages are:

"O Alice, O Alice, what shall I do. My little son is crying for
nourishment." "For a long time, the only noise to rupture the silence of the
noonday
jungle was the pitiful wailing of the hungry baby."

"D'Arnot wrote Tarzan's name as "Zantar", noting that sometimes the "Z"
sounded like a "z" and sometimes like a "d" and sometimes like a soft "g". And
there weren't any "a"'s in the word: he had put them in to make it possible to
pronounce the word"

"Kala dropped the dead infant in the cradle (in a pack-rat exchange) and
picked up the screaming baby".

As Geary said it, "This is the saddest sentences I ever wrote".

"Kala held the shrieking infant closely but tenderly. Then she placed her
swollen and aching black nipple in the baby's mouth. It quit crying and began
sucking noisily, and both were at peace".

"She was beginning to love this strange little creature."

"He soon lost the few English wrods he had learned."

"Nor did he ever have a toothache. He was blessed in his ancestors, who,
though of British stock, had extraordinarily good dental genes."

"Tarzan did not entirely weaned for five years. But Kala also gave him
fruits, roots, worms, insects, rodents, eggs, and occasional pieces of birdand
monkey meat."

"Kala loved Tarzan, but she was distressed because he was so  retarded."

"At ten Tarzar was as strong as most men of thirty and far more agile than
any Olympic athlete".

Jan. 1907, "Tarzan falls in love with Tecka, a female great ape, and loses
her to Taug".

Dec. 1907. "Tarzan puzzles out the meaning of the word 'God' in his  father's
books. He invents an ingenious method for pronouncing the letters of  the
alphabet."

May 20, 1912 - Tarzan's son, John Paul Clayton, born in Greystoke House,
London.

The family names involved here are Rutherford (Tarzan's biological mother)
and Clayton (his father), a duke. One of his references is:

SKELTON  (Cumb), sheet NY 43, scale 1:25,000. Ordnance Survey, Southampton,
1957. This  shows Greystoke Castle, Park, and Village.

Cheers,

JL