[lit-ideas] Re: Talking from the page

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:32:43 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/20/2013 6:53:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
recall reading something like that in a  French work on linguistics called
Parole (can’t recall the author).  So,  perhaps, a blurring of the two,
written text and spoken word, is  inevitable.

Oops. I see that L. Helm did NOT mean Saussure. Still, I went to amazon and
 did an advanced search, Language: French, Title: Parole, and came up with
a few  hits including:

La Parole Comme Acte: Sur La Grammaire Et La Semantique Au Xiiie Siecle
(Sic Et Non) (French Edition) by Irene Rosier

--

Then there's of course Austin.

His "How to do things with words" applies mainly to the spoken medium, and
some of his terminology can be intrusive if not irritating when thought of
as  applying to the 'written' (or 'graphic') medium, too:

phatic,
rhetic
phemic

acts

within the illocution, say.

Note, too, that Grice thinks that 'conversational implicatures' can occur
in the written text.

-----

This reminds me of (a) a cartoon I read today:

SHOE:

A: I don't understand this press release from sen. Belfry.
B: It looks like his usual mumbo jumbo... Just read between the  lines.

----

(b) Louis Armstrong.

In "What a wonderful world" he goes:

"I see trees of green,
red roses too.
I see them bloom,
for me and you.
----> And I think to  myself,
what a wonderful world.

 I see skies of blue,
And clouds of white.
The  bright blessed day,
The dark sacred night.
-----> And I  think to myself,
What a wonderful world.

 The colors of the rainbow,
So pretty in the sky.
Are also on the faces,
Of people going by,
I see  friends shaking hands.
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're  really saying,
"I love you".

 I hear babies cry,
I watch them grow,
They'll  learn much more,
Than I'll ever know.
----> And I think  to myself,
What a wonderful world.

 Yes, I think to myself,
What a wonderful world.

 Oh yeah."

One may wonder about 'thinking to oneself'. Note that "I talked to myself"
sounds cryptic.

Grice refers to 'meaning', 'thinking', and 'talking' in one of his
seldom-read William James lectures on conversation: Number 7 -- and it may
relate.
It may available in googlebooks.com

The reference to Gardiner in my previous post related to the idea that
Saussure's thinking that there is a 'langue' AND a 'parole' is too Platonistic
to be true.

And L. Helm is right about the 'hermeneutic' use of 'text' to mean almost
anything (Well, L. Helm refers to 'text' to cover both 'graphic' and 'aural'
or  'phonic').

Cheers,

Speranza