[lit-ideas] Re: Talking from the page

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:17:44 -0700 (PDT)

________________________________
 From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Lit-Ideas <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:53 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Talking from the page

JL,

I have been reading Why the West Rules – For Now by Ian Morris.  On page 86 he
writes “The clearest evidence for clumping and settling comes from what
archaeologists call the Hilly Flanks, an arc of rolling country curving around
the Tigris, Euphrates, and Jordan valleys in Southwest Asia.  I will spend most
of this chapter talking about this region, which saw humanity’s first major
movement away from hunter-gatherer lifestyles – and with it, the birth of

*Where is "The West" located in this paradigm - in today's Middle East ? Well I
don't suppose that we should be surprised since for a long time 'the birth of
the West' was located in India or Persia, and probably it will be located in
China / Japan when the political or economic need arises. (Possibly pretty soon)

O.K.

the West.”

oken word, is inevitable.  Do we see this inevitability in Morris’s words, or
are his words nothing more than an example of sloppy writing?

Lawrence