[lit-ideas] Taliban, Cheney, and bombing

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:20:55 -0600

The AP is reporting that a homicide bomber attacked a military base in Afghanistan where Vice President Cheney is. From the story:

A purported Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousef Ahmadi, said Cheney was the target of the attack..."We knew that Dick Cheney would be staying inside the base," Ahmadi told AP telephone from an undisclosed location. "The attacker was trying to reach Cheney."

Just the thought of it resurrected assassination chic (Death Of A President mockudrama, a passage in Cindy Sheehan's Peace Mom about killing Bush as an infant, the Kill Bush t-shirts and postage stamps with a gun to his head) on the nutroots Left. Here are a few examples from the Huffington Post comments section to the story:

-----
"Cheney's spokeswoman said he was fine"

Fuck.
-----
They missed! Too bad.
-----
You can't kill pure evil....
-----
If at first you don't succeed ...
-----
They missed?? Dammit. I hope they try again before he leaves.
-----

And that's just the first page. Has HuffPo taken the mantle from DailyKos as the home for progressive hate and bile? With this new low they might have. The Kossacks will not be pleased.

Brian
Birmingham, AL