[lit-ideas] Re: Takiyyah

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:28:09 -0500

Thanks, Austin for your long and thoughtful post.

"We have been talking about a religious concept of Takiyyah, according to which the Shi'a Moslem considers it to be good, and appropriate, to lie to a person of another faith so long as the lie benefits a Shi'a Moslem, or is of benefit to Shi'a Islam in general."

Don't we privilege this practice by referring to it as a "truth culture"? It's lying. Non-Muslim people lie for exactly the same reasons. Lawyers, for example, are tasked with defending their clients, and consider it good and appropriate to position and shape statements that benefit their clients.

To call it a culture seems to give it a status it doesn't deserve. To say, "All Cretans are liars" doesn't make the lies into non-lies. Doesn't it make sense to talk about different attitudes toward lying?

Further, isn't the example of lying you give more a linguistic convention lie?

If you tell the annoying stranger that your father "is not at home," it really means he "is not at home" for the stranger. A more direct, non-lying, linguistic convention would be the old-fashioned Britishism, "My father is not receiving visitors at the moment."

And aren't there a wide variety of lies? From the lies we tell ourselves and aren't even aware of, to the lies that are tacitly assumed to mean something else, there's a big stretch.

Eric
(as far as you know)