[lit-ideas] Re: Takiyyah

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:24:42 -0600

Austin Meredith wrote:

We have been talking about a religious concept of Takiyyah, according to which the Shi'a Moslem considers it to be good, and appropriate, to lie to a person of another faith so long as the lie benefits a Shi'a Moslem, or is of benefit to Shi'a Islam in general. It seems to me that the problem here needs to be more generally understood. What I would offer is that the distinction to be made is between two very different truth cultures:

Truth Culture A: If I lie to you and get away with it, you are an innocent victim and the fault is entirely mine -- because it is wrong to take advantage of others. I should apologize and attempt to make amends.

Truth Culture B: If I lie to you and get away with it, the fault is entirely yours -- it is foolish to allow oneself to be thus taken advantage of by others. If you react badly to being lied to then you are attempting to victimize me -- because you are blaming on me a problem that you yourself created. You should apologize and attempt to make amends. . . .

There is also a "Truth Cluture C" at least. This is not hypothetical; I've seen examples of this "live."

In "Truth Culture C" a lie is not seen for its truth content, it is seen in the context of making for a smooth social interaction, one which does not embarras either party. If I ask you for directions and you do not know at all where I'm trying to go, the truth will make it look like you are an idiot and it will make me feel awkward trying to deal with your ignorance. So you "try your best" to give me an answer, even if you know it's false: "I think you go up the hill and then to the left." You're not lying to me; you are trying to make the social interaction between us go as smoothly as possible. The obvious way to deal with being in this kind of culture is to talk a LOT MORE with a LOT MORE people, and get several people's help rather than rely on just one person's reply. But this intereste in social interaction is built into the culture, so it's not harmful to me if I have to talk to lots of people; it's a good thing. The purpose of words is to create social interactions, not convey literal truth.

As a footnote on "lying' to women: I think the Qu'ran is on to something here. I seemed to get into trouble with my former wife no matter what I said. The cause was a simple question: "How do I look?" Sometimes a truthful answer got me into trouble, but sometimes a lie got me into just as much trouble. FINALLY I figured out the contexts were different. When my ex-wife asked me quite early in the morning how she looked, she was asking for an hones, truthful reply, because she had enough time to consider if she wanted to take my reaction into consideration and change. But when she asked the same question on the way out the door, she was NOT asking for truth; she was asking for emotional support and encouragement. "You look great! Go get 'em!" was they "truthful" reply to that request. What looks like a "lie" may just be an example of a different mode of expression.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA