[lit-ideas] Taking the Oregon Trail Seriously?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 03:49:36 -0500

I never huff so I wonder why John piggybacked his post:

"While our warmongers huff and puff, there are, fortunately, people doing more serious thinking about what national and global security really require. Here is an example, summarized in a piece I wrote for bestoftheblogs.com"

[what follows are some of John's really good recommendations for port security].

Onto my comment that I saw
[retired petroleum expert, now lecturer Deffeyes']

presentation last year at the 92nd
Street Y here in Happy Town. It's one reason why
I suggested that this is the Golden Age of
Multiculturalism and that nations will reassert
themselves as jet fuel skyrockets and
international travel slows to a trickle. As the
chances of soft landing recede, global
corporations will have to decide on a base for
their power, which is less likely to be those
countries with dictatorial central governments
(like China) and histories of strong federal
regulation of industry (like France). Therefore it
seems likely that nations will attempt to undo
their global commitments.