[lit-ideas] Re: TUESDAY'S FORCAST

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:38:36 -0500

WO:
A thinking that itself creates in
the act of thinking knows all, sees all but tells nothing.

Yes, you are almost there. "There" being where I was in 1968 when I was called before the Curia in Rome to defend my preachings. The Catholic Church is very jealous of its doctrines. Gruff and growly Benedictines stand guard. My thesis was (is still, though I've promised not to preach it) that GOD cannot be thought about since to think of GOD is to place him in a time frame. Time and GOD do not work. They are contradictory. Eternal, omniscient, omnipotent. Such expressions demean GOD. They suggest that there is reality other than GOD. Even to say "GOD is" is a blasphemy for it intimates that there's the possibility that GOD isn't. But let us be bold and speak in blasphemies. Walter writes: "A thinking [i.e., GOD] that itself creates in the act of thinking ...". This is good Catholic dogma such that existence is the mind of GOD. Everything that is is sustained through GOD's constant, diligent knowing of it. Every leaf, every blade of grass, every sub-atomic particle even. So, please, don't distract GOD with silly arguments against his existence, for who knows what might disappear -- not even GOD knows.

I could go on, but I won't.
Mike Geary
Memphis

PS.  Loved the riff on cars.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
          From: veronica caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 8:56 PM

I like the poem. It made me laugh. I hope you get more heat so
you can get more work.

          What grand design?

          Veronica
----- Original Message ----- From: Mike Geary