[lit-ideas] THE FARM: A TIME TRAVELOGUE (long)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:12:13 -0500

Prologue: The second week end of August I revisited the farm I had once lived on for almost 4 years from 1951 to early '55 These ruminations proceeded. I don't know why I did this except perhaps to conclude an important part of my life. Have no guilt about deleting it.

After the war, the one we won, six of my seven uncles, four of whom had battled the Krauts and two the Japs ended up living with us in Memphis for various amounts of time from '46 through '48, (and that's not counting my mother's parents -- god only knows when they came to live with us or why) and all because my dad hadn't done the deed he shoulda-oughta and gone off to war like all good Americans did, preferring to stay home and make bullets for Dupont (for which he was draft deferred) rather than dodge bullets made by the Axis' Dupont counterparts -- or maybe Dupont was making bullets for both sides -- who knows? business gets messy in wars. But the upshot of all this is that having stayed at home, Mom and Dad owned a house, and thus we became the stopping off place for all demobilized family members. It was very, very crowded in our house for a while, but that was OK because we were very, very Irish at the time (much less so now). I was only 2 through 4 then, so my memory is a bit hazy at best. But I remember with amazing clarity the morning I woke up fascinated by fire. My younger brother Tom, a year and a half younger than me -- a surprise child, no doubt -- shared my small upstairs bedroom and was still sleeping in a crib. I can still see him fretting over the flames. He's never had much of an aesthetic bent, more the engineering type, which means that though he's understood stuff I've never known existed, still I know the beauty of fire and he knows only the properties. I tell myself that anyway. Helps deal with the envy at his success. I remember, or I think I do, waking that morning and lying in bed, imagining the flames and how exciting that would be. I know I remember sneaking into my parents' bedroom next to ours and taking a book of matches from the nightstand while they both slept soundly on a Saturday morning. Returning to our room, I sat down on the floor, struck a match and set fire to my bed sheet. I remember sitting there, amazed at how beautiful it was. I remember him -- brother Tom -- screaming and jumping up an down in his crib -- apparently upset by the unfamiliar sight of a bed on fire. I remember watching him, thinking: what's your problem? My next memory is of great commotion. My older brother had been sent by my grandmother to wake my mom and dad for breakfast, he had to cross our bedroom to get to mom and dad's and walked in just as the flames were started to get dramatic. No friend of theater, he lost it and went screaming through the house that the house was on fire. Suddenly there was Uncle Mike and Uncle Harvey and my father all pounding on the mattress with whatever they could find and throwing the mattress out the window. It was all quite exciting. I remember looking out the window and seeing the mattress smoldering on the ground, sadly exhausted as though post-coital. A great debate ensued about what should be done with me, I'm given to understand and I've been told I received a royal whipping for that, but I don't remember it. Pleasure takes precedence over pain.

Then came grade one. The only person I remember from that whole wretched experience is Betty Bucannani. She had buck teeth. I remember that. Maybe that's why I remember her, except that I also remember that I wanted so, so, so badly to be her friend, I don't know why, it may have only been her name, those dancing dactyls, whatever, she ignored me. In fact, I can't remember us ever speaking to one another. Some loves are too intense for words.

Having successfully completed grade one and believing myself pretty much in control of my life, I was suddenly and rudely told that we were moving to a farm outside Pocahontas, Arkansas. Goodbye, Betty Buccananni, my darling, my love, my life! Had I been consulted about this, I'd never have assented, nor would any of us four kids. So much for democracy and the noble sacrifices of my six uncles trying to make the world safe for such. 40 million dead but that meant nothing to my parents. We were moving and that was that. I remember the morning we packed up the rented truck -- not the closed van types you see today, this was an open bed truck with wooden fence type sides. That was early summer 1951. It was the beginning of our new family philosophy: the simple life -- a philosophy not yet communicated to the rank and file. My parents were a full eighteen years ahead of the rest of country in returning to the earth. I should have told my parents that "the desire to be primitive is a disease of civilization", but I wouldn't come across that quote from Santayana for another twenty years or so -- nevertheless, I suspected as much. That should count for something. Hadn't my own dear father scoffed at the idea of barbecuing on an outside grill saying, "It took mankind a million years to learn how to cook indoors. I'll be damned if I'll turn my back of that achievement." I agree with him now, but at the time I wanted him to fit it. To be like Ward Cleaver, exemplar of white, upper-middle-class American values. As I look back on it though, Dad was exactly like Ward Cleaver, well, minus the wardrobe and the certitude that Ward exuded. But both were equally unflappable. Where Ward was certain of his beliefs, my father was certain he had no beliefs. Where Ward was bemused by his children's misreadings of life, my father was bemused by all readings of life. And whereas one could never imagine Ward getting June to undress, my father could regularly get my mother to shout success. He had his talents.

My sister Tricie rode with mom in the Plymouth that was crammed with our more fragile stuff. Uncle Joe rode in the truck cab with Dad and us three boys were assigned to a small space in the back left for us like were pieces of furniture. But we didn't mind. We made a game of snaking through voids in the load, with the challenge of making it to rear. Boxes always stopped us, alas, but it was a fun challenge for the two hour trip from Memphis, fun despite the recriminations over the rocking chair lost somewhere on Highway 69 when my older brother whom we called "Brother", tried to rearrange a box that blocked his way, inadvertently sending the rocking chair over board. About a mile from the farm, at the top of Sand Hill, we stopped on our virgin trip to the farm to buy some emergency provisions. Mrs Butler, a stereotypical big-bosomed, ample-fleshed, loudly gregarious country woman accompanied us out to the truck. Seeing it, she laughed heartily. "You're carrying it in on a truck," she said all jovial-like, "but you'll be carrying out on your backs." Then she laughed with an abandon that through the years I've come to believe springs from tragedy. And true to her words, three years later, we did just as she had prophesied -- moved back to Memphis in our black 1950 Plymouth sedan whose hood and roof and trunk now bore a thousand little dings from sheep hoofs. Our clothes were about all we took back to Memphis with us -- that and one new brother, Pete, kid number 5. But the first year on the farm had been good. The rains came as needed The clover, the fescue, the alfalfa, all grew as green as God ever dreamed they could. And ranchers from Texas, suffering a severe drought there, were scouring the countryside trying to find farmers who would contract with them for pastures to fatten their cattle before market. That was right up our alley, since sheep graze closer to the ground than cows, we'd let cows into a pasture first and our sheep would follow, none the wiser.

The Texas drought was a heaven send my mother believed. It was God's way of blessing their commitment to simplicity and of giving her some extra cash to glamour-up the house. And it needed clamoring, believe me. It was as old as Arkansas and was a real, honest-to-god log cabin, stuccoed over outside, plastered on the inside. There were four rooms. Two "large" ones across the front of the house, the living room and the bed room (for us 3 boys and my parents, though they often slept on a pallet in the living room. I can't imagine why). Across the back of the house was a small kitchen and a small bedroom (my older sister's -- I've never understood how she merited that). The roof was corrugated tin on which the rain drummed a million fingers and under which the wind wailed like uulating women. In the living room was a large pot bellied stove that heated half that room to eight hundred degrees, but left the rest of the house in a deep chill. The walls in winter were wells of condensation, and if you accidentally leaned against it, you'd have to change your shirt, it would immediately wick wet all through. Speaking of wells, we didn't have one. We depended on a cistern for water. A gutter carried rainwater from the room to the cistern that adjoined the side of the kitchen. It was housed in a slap-dash, shed-type construction. The cistern itself resembled a concrete bottle of Guinness Extra Stout buried some two-thirds in the ground. Our family doctor recommended we have typhoid inoculations if we were going to drink from it. We did. Both.

I remember the morning the sheep were delivered. Dad had ordered one hundred ewes and one ram. That lucky old ram. But the truck showed up with two hundred ewes and two rams, someone had gone out of business before their stock even arrived. Or so the driver said. He talked dad into accepting the other hundred at half the cost. So the business suddenly doubled in size. I think my parents would have objected to my use of "business" to describe their enterprise. It was more a vocation to them. And most likely of my mother's invention. She was the Romantic, dad, the Sardonicist. Amazing how little they fought. But I remember one morning my mother was in a fit, throwing silverware into the drawer, rattling dishes, slamming drawers shut.
"Get out," she shouted at us boys, "get out. Go outside."
"But it's cold outside," I shouted back.
"I don't care," she screamed back. "Get out of here. Go clean up the farm."
"Clean up the farm?" Brother, my older brother, sought clarification.
Mom was holding a sauce pan in her hand at that moment and she suddenly went into a rage, banging it on the pot bellied stove like a maniac and shouting, "Get out, get out, get out." We grabbed our coats and went without further ado. It was bitter cold. Why didn't our sister Tricie have to stand out in the cold? Life is so unfair. We made our way to the barn where bales of hay were stored. In no time we were rearranging the bales to create tunnels and secret rooms. The bales were heavy and took all three of us to move them about. The work kept us warm, and having a mission that required cooperation, we ceased the bickering and fighting we'd been engaged in all morning. In fact, it was one of the best days ever spent on the farm. Thanks, Mom.

The first year was good. But then the second year saw the Texas drought move into Arkansas. The next two years of drought did us in. It was a shoestring operation from the beginning, after all. Even if the first year had been repeated ten times over, the eleventh would have undone it all. The importance of capital in a capitalistic society -- Economics 101. Plus, none of us kids were committed to simplicity, we'd have made demands. Would have wanted running water and indoor plumbing. Would have wanted television. Would have wanted air conditioning. Would have wanted stereos, microwaves, washers and dryers, hair driers. Heat in every room. Toasters. Blenders. Eventually even microwaves. There was no way we would have let our parents live their vision of the simple life. In 1955 we moved back to Memphis and dad returned to the dreary, meaningless industrial jobs he had always known and that suck the joy out of most or our lives. But, hey, think of all the things.

Fifty years later I returned to the farm. Actually it was my third trip in fifty years. The first trip was 16 years after moving, away. My sister, who had married her Pocahontas high school sweetheart, settled in Pocahontas. I was there in 1971 for the funeral of her husband who died of heart failure at 35. Death-minded, I visited the farm. Cows grazed in the pastures and looked suspiciously at me, but there was no one living there. The house was still standing, as were all the outbuildings, including the outhouse. I was amazed that that hated, rickety, spider infested, mud dauber domiciled, stink hole of a building could have endured the years, yet there it was in all in ignominy. But I was most amazed that there were magazines and newspapers in the house that dated from the time we had lived there. It was being used as a second barn, we were the last people to know those walls, hear rain drumming the roof, know the eerie whine of wind in the attic. The last to love it and hate it and feel some bonding with it. Using it to store hay seem a kind of desecration of my parents' one stab at a meaningful life.

The second trip was sixteen years later (1987) when my father was dying in a hospital not far from Pocahontas. He had retired to Cherokee Village, a town located on the Trail of Tears, where dear old Andrew Jackson drove four thousand Indians from Tennessee to their death and thousands more into exile into that great garden oasis, Oklahoma. I once asked him didn't it bother him to know such crimes had occurred on the very ground beneath his feet. "I didn't invent Europeans," he said with a shrug. "Don't blame me." Again it was death that brought me back to the farm. The house was gone, it had burned. Lightning? Most likely. But I like to think it was from spontaneous combustion -- from the stored hay. Nature's poetic-justice way of stopping the desecration. I was surprised how deeply it saddened me, even though it was a kind of desecration, still as long as it stood, well, I apparently was taking solace in that.

Now it is 2005, 18 years since my last visit. I decided it was time to do it again. No connection to death this time, except perhaps intimations of my own mortality. The road to the farm, Dalton Route, leaves Highway 90 at an angle. When we lived there, Dalton Route was a narrow, gravel road, poorly maintained and often deeply rutted. In summer, by July at least, the trees that lined both sides of road were coated in a fine brown dust -- not just the leaves, but the branches and trunks too -- it was other-worldly to anyone not accustomed to such dust. I can only remember four farmhouses between the highway and our farm gate when we lived there, even if my memory is failing me, there were certainly no more than one or two others. But now there were forty at least. And not farmhouses, thank you. These were all wealth-bragging houses. Where Dalton Route split off from the highway, in that slice of land there was a tree not far from the road with a claw-foot bathtub lodged high in the branches, dropped off apparently by some passing tornado that no one living there could remember. It had always seemed to me a sacred icon, not of God's power but capricious Nature's. "See this bathtub set in a tree? I"I'll place you in it if it pleases me." I looked with much anticipation, but the tree was gone. In its place, a new hospital. A trope of man's attempt to rule over nature? Don't you just love all these tropes? Dalton Route was no longer called Dalton Route. It was named Country Club Rd. And it was paved. And there was a factory that factored something, I don't know what, opposite the hospital. And three or four dozen new houses in the mile to the farm gate. The farm gate was now opposite the Pocahontas Country Club. And just down the road was the Country Club Estates development. I didn't go in there. Neither could I drive on the to farm road. It was locked all stock and barrel. So I climbed the fence and descended the hill. I probably haven't told you that it is a very hilly farm. And I probably haven't told you that Mom named the hills. There was St. Mary's Hill, St. Joseph's Hill, House Hill and Copperhead Hill. The farm was named Te Deum. What amazes me is that neither mom nor dad was particularly religious. I ascribe it to ethnicity -- Irish bullshit. The lay of the land is absolutely gorgeous -- the prettiest I've ever seen in Arkansas. The hills are all wooded and the vales all pasture. A creek cuts the farm in two. The farm road from Dalton Route (Country Club Rd) wound around St. Joseph's Hill and Copperhead Hill and down and across the creek and up House Hill -- a least three quarters of a mile. God it was so beautiful. There were no buildings left on the land. No cows either, that I saw. But it hadn't gone weed, someone still cared. I suspect it was being held for development. Land to be divided into lots for retirees from Chicago and Des Moines and St. Louis. I sat on a rock on Copperhead Hill and guessed that this was my last visit to the farm. I wanted to hate those people who would, as Joyce defines sentimentalists, "enjoy with incurring the immense debtorship for a thing done." But what the hell. Let this land be loved by more than cows -- a species-centric statement I know and acknowledge that maybe cows love ten thousand times more than any of us is capable of -- but I'm a human and I want humans to know and love this place, which none really have for 50 years. I sat there remembering how in the dusk, killdeer would sweep over the fields like hot-shot pilots crying their plaintive call and scooping up insects by the cropful. How when the sheep were dying in the fields, the vultures would gather on the fence posts and circle the farm on wings that only an angel could out grace. Such hideous, ugly birds -- such astonishing, incredible beauty in the air. Vultures should be the icon of God, not the crucifix.

When I first sat down to absorb the farm. I was disappointed that none of it seemed to remember my name. There were trees there that should have remembered me, but then I couldn't remember their names either. Time heals, it severs, it obliterates, it moves on. I wanted to be 7, 8, 9 years old again, to feel the immediacy that I knew then, then when I knew without introduction the names of the spirits of every tree and rock and weed and wind that I encountered. But it wasn't that way. I was like seeing someone you know you know but just can't remember the name or the context. You nod, knowing that that person was once important in your life and had things been different, well, then, you'd be different. I kissed the ground. Thanked it for the secrets it told me and went home. Back to the land I belong to now. Taking from my parents not the simple life, rather life, simply, whatever it brings.