[lit-ideas] Re: T and T video/Bloomsday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:25:01 -0700

On Jun 16, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

Maybe Stalinist, maybe simply the US ignoring its soccer team, as usual.

There's plenty of coverage of how highly the U.S. team was ranked, and how wonderful and revered this or that player is.

But the basketball finals are on and, of course, Oregon State is in the College baseball playoffs, and then several members of the bronze medal U.S. curling team will be visiting Portland on Saturday. No wonder there was no time or space to report a U.S. defeat.

N.P.R., by contrast, had a scathing analysis of U.S. play.

I just watched the Holland vs Ivory Coast match. (Yes, I got my manuscript finished ahead of schedule, so I'm taking the day off.) Yea Ivory Coast. Brilliant goal.

Brilliant.

Oh dear.  Now I've got those voices from Guinness ads stuck in my head.

O.K. quick quiz for Bloomsday. What's Ireland's number one tourist attraction? Something to do with one of Ireland's great writers? A castle? A scenic spot? Nope. According to the following website, it's paying to tour a Guinness brewery and buy things with the logo all over them.

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/

Thanks for the poetry vote.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon