[lit-ideas] Re: Suppes on Grice: Hands Across the Bay

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 16:16:55 +0100

Of course, there is a couple of problems with using such internalistic
notions as "utterer's intentions" or "utterer's intuitions" for some kind
of scientific (e.g. linguistic) inquiry. Intentions or intuitions are not
empirically observable, we can only ask the speakers about their intentions
/ intuitions and take their word for it (or not). If on the other hand we
are attempting to infer intentions from what is said or from the context,
then it turns that the notion of 'intentions" is reducible to meaning or
usage and probably needs an Ockham razor.

From similar reasons, I think, literary criticism that was centered on the
notion of 'authorial intention' never got very far; either we are infering
the authorial intention from the text itself in which case the notion of
'intention' adds nothing useful to what we otherwise understand from the
text, or we are infering it from extra-textual sources (e.g. the author's
private diary) which are themselves no more reliable.

O.K.