[lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:19:27 EDT

Thanks.  Sounds scary and important.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Superman Returns
Date: 7/3/06 7:45:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _carolkir@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:carolkir@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It refers to physical death of the human organism.  Quite mechanistic, the
book describes the "how" of the human death process.  The organism needs
certain
mechanisms to occur, in certain functional  organs, for its ongoing survival.
When some vital mechanisms are damaged or  destroyed, the organism struggles,
putting extra stress on other organs and  systems, etc. The book gives a
glimpse into medical thinking. It's not meant to  be uplifting, imo, but it's
important.

Carol K.

Date: 7/3/06 8:45:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _pas@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:pas@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 04:21 AM 7/3/2006, you wrote:
>It seems  to me Alzheimer's can be a cause of death; admittedly
>the proximate  cause would be starvation (some prefer to call it
>dehydration) and  admittedly also once someone is that weak, an
>infection that would not  normally be fatal, is.  Still, I'd be
>inclined to say Alzheimer's  was a cause.

Sherwin B. Nuland's wonderful "how we die" outlines the  four basic
ways a person dies. That's it. Sounds morbid, but it's a very  good book.

[insert pithy quote  here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Leamington, ON.  Canada