[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday waffle...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:19:23 -0400

I was in high school in Chicago in the mid-sixties (honors classes (I
took the u out of honours to honour the time and place)) and never
studied Shakespeare.  But this seemed a scandal to the other English
teachers at the time, I seem to remember.  Mrs. O'Brien's mind was
entirely on grammar and composition and we studied hardly any literature
for four years.   Perhaps that's why I like to read.   She was the most
senior English teacher and could thus demand to teach the honors
classes.  I never knew whether she didn't like literature herself or
whether she understood somehow that bright kids were probably better off
finding it by themselves.  She did, I remember, hand out some excellent
reading lists, some of the titles of which are still among my top ten
books. (She'd have cluck-clucked at that last sentence).
Ursula
North Bay