[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday poem, for Stephen Frye

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:20:41 -0700

Brandy Chastain's new book reminds us that "it's not about the bra";
you remember her, the soccer player who, overjoyed, having come so far,
ripped off her shirt, exposing...ooh la la...the equivalent of a bikini top.
When they win, men and animals lark and romp; why stop her?

Our moon this week was eclipsed,
which stirred no dogs to bark,
but modelled nicely for St Louis how one goes quietly into the dark.
When the clean-of-chins lost to the anti-Brahmins,
they called it history, and the winners wet their strips.

The sport in our house this week is all wheels and fur balls.
We bought Emily a car: high miles, perfect nick, nice docket.
Julia got a kitten, once called "Rocket,"
now "Jeeves Michael Haggis," or "James."
Like a ballplayer spraying champagne,
he leaps about,
blasting after feathers and falling down.
He sits on our books.
He gives us looks.
He spits.
He hisses.
He purrs.
He pisses.
He rubs his whiskers, shakes off advice and signs.
He plays with our colored socks,
crawls into jars,
takes hard knocks,
dribbles balls,