[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 15:24:21 -0800

On Feb 5, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> A telling tale. Tax funded poetry prizes (like the Staffordshire Poetry
> Competition at which we did "Look". Fibonacci was a merchant and Heraclitus
> had something to say but nothing as important as the poet - remember? "See".
> )  are one way we can reach out to these unfortunates, and in some cases we
> may even provide for them by way of sinecures within academic institutions.
> There they may teach subject-matter, and work at producing more work, in a
> secure environment - one where issues of quality can only rarely endanger
> public safety and even then only on the very smallest of scales. The
> importance of what they are doing must not be at all challenged - in the
> present century that remains the central and continuing challenge - to ensure
> we are still approaching them, and dealing with them, in the most humane of
> ways.
>
> Donal
> Ex-President: Bad Poets' Society

As far as I know, there are no tax-funded prizes for wotsits or twofers.  The
Aberdeen Angus Bipartisan International Institute for Studies Studies is,
however, currently at the preliminary planning stage for a conceptual sketch of
a working party charged with preparing for the possibility of studying how to
institute a sinecure.

David Ritchie,
Artist Without Portfolio