[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:22:37 +0100

On 29-Jan-12, at 11:55 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

I stood foursquare with my four squares of Swiss chocolate and wondered whether John Calvin would approve.

More evidence that 'the Lord (or at least the federation of His Swiss protestant churches) works in mysterious ways' (and that one can find just about *anything* on the Internet):

"... next year is the 500th anniversary of the joyous birth of the man who gave the world Calvinism. John Calvin is 500! And what better way to celebrate the birth of the dour, ascetic Reformer than by getting a Swiss chocolatier to create a luxury box of chocs? ...

The Federation of Swiss Protestant Churches gave Genevan chocolate man Blaise Poyet the unenviable job of finding a way to represent the person and work of Calvin. "It was an interesting challenge," said Poyet, graciously. "It's not easy to represent theological ideas using taste buds. The first layer of the sweet was based on a smooth, runny praline mix. But we have reformed it."

Chris Bruce,
choking down his breakfast muesli without benefit
of the fruits of the Theobroma cacao tree, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. The above was found at

http://ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/food_drink/205.html