[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 10:44:12 -0700

Some carrying on in the twofer today.  Our chickens are lying down on the job.
The bird manual says they may be short of protein, long sea voyages, butlering.
 Something of that ilk.  I'm considering a lawsuit on their behalf.  I may also
argue that music publishers have discriminated against my song-writing career.
Take, "I like bananas because they have no bones," the song at breakfast; the
fellow who wrote that was able to rhyme "banana" with "Anna."  I can't even
rhyme aunt with pant.  Lacking that ability, my ear fusses with things like the
fact that yesterday's ref in the Monaco v Spurs game was named Ruddy Buquet.
Does he offer candlelight suppers to neighbours?  We're off to the zoo for a
hospital do.

Into every life a few dirty dishes must fall.  You'd think that "I cooked
dinner so I don't wash up is a pretty good guideline," but it's not infallible
or always even follow-able.  For example, one person may think, "I spent the
best part of the day cleaning house," and another, "I got up early to do
surgery," and another "I'm not actually even here."  That kind of thing.  It
can put the cook in an awkward spot.

David Ritchie,
Portland,