[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 12:44:37 -0700

i'm proposing an innovative new center for excellence and feline creativity
there will be monitors in the halls with like signage at every turn
we shall prescribe right behavior
we shall cross disciplinary boundaries listing clawing one-o-one and couch
painting as near alternatives
we shall embrace diversity hiring instructors of all colors and stripes
we shall leave no cat behind
instructors will be instructed to give students explicit and clear and creative
new choices
also three treats each
they will explain how one eats and breathes
they will demonstrate expansion and mastication
thereafter the task will be to measure outcomes
we are expecting a very high pass rate
dropouts will count
also near misses
we will worry only about retention
for which we propose digital solutions

Scots are known worldwide as people who keep their aspirations in check, and
tartan; Freud would have called it suppression, but did he ever meet one?  I
can't imagine a Scot paying for years of therapy.  Frogs and wolves and who
knows what yowl to summon up their blood, stiffen the sinew.  That Australian
Gibson, pretending to be the Norman, Wallace, blethered on in English about
freedom.  Would this inspire a man to fight?  Especially if they were Gallic
speakers, scratching their bites, banging on targes, muttering, "See yon arse
on a horse.  He's no yours."  But that's not the whole story.  Elsewhere in
time when the ref blew for kickoff, and all the best anthems had been sung,
they'd rise again, like you do, from behind ambush hides, springing up like
thistles, coveting others' coos without let, hindrance, check.

David Ritchie,
Portland,